Sunday, January 23, 2005

Living by unwritten rules

Today I'd like to mention another thing which I noticed in Italian lifestyle and which is strange for me. Being here I feel I am constricted by many unwritten rules which by now (after more than 6 months) are almost normal for me but still sometimes I realize that back in Lithuania we don't do so.

Ok, for example, time schedule for major event of the day - EATING:) Lunch - most likely will be at 1pm. Dinner - in Centro Sud, where I live, most likely will start at 8-9 pm.

Another thing related to EATING, it's what Italians eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I remember once visiting Firenze and tired after long walk in the city we were searching for a place for lunch and I offered to go to pizzeria. "What, pizza for lunch?!!" Well, after 6 months I wouldn't make that mistake and now I search only for some dish with pasta :) But when you approach with this question an Italian, most likely he will answer "ma dai, we eat everything, there's no such rule..."

Ok, I'm not trying to generalize here, I know, there's no rule without an exception and south and north of Italy are two different regions with many different customs and habits. Just wanted to share this with you today. Maybe next time I will remember something else about the life by unwritten rules, because I had noticed something else... just don't remember now!:) I should hurry up to write down all what I see now because after some time it will not seem strange for me. It's like in an organizational practice - a smart manager would ask his new employee to describe all what seems strange to him in the organization, organizational culture, because only in this way they can learn something about themselves... Ok, finito now.

1 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Gunnella said...

:-) They´re fun these unwritten rules!! I lived in Italy for a number of years so it is fun to read about how you´re encountering them for the first time! Makes me remember ;-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home