Monday, November 26, 2007

travelling by reading


surrounded by zebra
Originally uploaded by renatela

I know when it started. I was waiting for the flight at Dublin's airport and as usual went to the bookshop to check for some book to read while on the airplane. The first book that got into my hands was the one about travelling around Ireland by Pete McCarthy "McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland"and I read it with a great pleasure. I didn't realize at that time that something remained in my heart, something warm and jumpy every time I thought about some other travels.
And then I went to Africa. And then I came back. And now I'm just about to finish another travel book by Paul Theroux "Dark Star Safari" and as you can imagine it's about Africa. I don't know where it will end - but I'm keen on buying another travel book.

3 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger teddyb109 said...

Great post! "Riding the Iron Rooster" by Paul Theroux is one of my favorite travel books. He writes of his travels through Russia and China. I also enjoyed Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence" when I read it, though I wonder if my tastes have changed. Of course, I fantasize about writing such a book myself.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger renatela said...

Thanks, "Riding the Iron Rooster" is one of the books on my wish list, when I get done with the Zadie Smith "On Beauty" I will search for Paul Theroux again.
By the way, now that I discovered his books I searched his name in all the bookshops around Dublin and I was kinda surprised that they don't have much of his writing. Bill Bryson is A MAJOR writer according to Irish bookstores, but I haven't read anything by him. And can it be that Louis Theroux is Paul's son that he mentions in his African travel book? I've seen one book of Louis as well.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger teddyb109 said...

I have a copy of RTIR I can send you. I read Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything," where he explained science to non-scientists. Enjoyed it a great deal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home